Quantcast

Sail Ship`James Booth`1851

Len Ayres
Hi Looking at your register I find that it states that the James Booth was built by Hall of Aberdeen, but the Aberdeen City Archives state that she was built by Duthie of Aberdeen.Can you confirm which please.
Thank You
Len Ayres

Re: Sail Ship`James Booth`1851

raydar
Administrator
Hi Len, without checking, I think that Duthie owned and sailed this vessel and that Hall built it for him, I will have to go back but will include the nearest at hand material. After 40 years on this for the benefit of those who would like to know, I am afraid that a fly speck here and there might indeed have been missed, I know that will be possible because I have rectified many errors made by Bateson, Lubbock, Loney and others and in the knowledge that we are all subject to making small oversights here and there, we hope that others like yourself will find them.

JAMES BOOTH
OF ABERDEEN, ALEX DUTHIE, MASTER, BURTHEN 636TONS
FROM THE PORT OF LONDON TO SYDNEY, NSW, JAN 21ST, 1856
Surname Given name Station Age Of what Nation Status Comment
DUTHIE ALEX MASTER   GREAT BRITAIN CREW
BOWERS PETER MATE 31 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
MEARES ANDREW 2ND MATE 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
MATHERSON WILLIAM CARPENTER 23 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
FRASER JAMES STEWARD 45 GREAT BRITAIN CREW

I doubt tha Duthie had a ship building company at the time of his being master of this ship but I may have also made an oversight.
DAIR JOHN COOK 28 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
JONES THOMAS A. B. 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
JOHNSON WILLIAM A. B. 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
BRAWN FERMANDO A. B. 50 DANTZIC CREW
WOOD RICHARD A. B. 28 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
JAFFIE E. A. B. 33 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
TAYLOR PETER A. B. 21 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
BIRD THOMAS A. B. 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
LOCK PETER A. B. 28 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
MOODIE THOMAS A. B. 19 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
COX THOMAS A. B. 21 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
LYNN JOHN O. S. 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
ROSS WILLIAM SAILMAKER 26 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
TAYLOR WILLIAM BOATSWAIN 32 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
ROBERTS CHARLES O. S. 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
ANDERSON DONALD APPRENTICE 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
HARRIS GEORGE APPRENTICE 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
BURREL ALEXANDER APPRENTICE 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
BENZ THOMAS APPRENTICE 20 GREAT BRITAIN CREW
LAUDER   MR     PASSENGER
LAUDER   MRS     PASSENGER
PERITY   MR     PASSENGER
FLETCHER   MR     PASSENGER

Source: State Records Authority of New South Wales: Shipping Master's Office; Passengers Arriving 1855 - 1922; NRS13278, [X94] reel 403.   Transcribed by Majella Smith, 2004.

Hi Ray Got your info, thanks.
Len

Re: Sail Ship`James Booth`1851

raydar
Administrator
Might be worth checking Lloyds the year after the ship was built Len, I still think that Hall built it because Duthie was Captain and Captains rarely if ever were in the building of ships while they were sailing.
Ray

Re: Sail Ship`James Booth`1851

ray warren
It has now been corrected to Duthie. It must have been a typo Len as I was sure going cross eyed using the old books from Lloyds oh, and one errpor does not a mish mash make