Merchant sailing ships

Len Ayres
Hi
Can you help me please. I am looking for details on a sailing ship called CREST or SKETTY,these might not be the origonal names

Re: Merchant sailing ships

R.J.Warren
Hi Len, You may have to go to the British Maritime Museum with this question, you can also try Google the names but they may have been too small [Schooners and Brigs are few and far between in this blog] so an email to the British Maritime Museum might do the trick Other ways are to look at the local newspapers at the times you know they arrived and they should be registered in shipping adverts.

Re: Merchant sailing ships

Norman Atwell
Hello ,
A very long shot . Looking for any information on my Grand father Percival Edgar Atwell . I believe he was  one of the last sailors on the Tall Ships sailing out of either Cardiff or Bristol Docks sailing I believe to mostly Australia and once to Japan around the end of the 1890s .
It is a request for my father (now 100 yrs old and blind ) to give him something to occupy his mind and give a background to a person as a young child I new almost nothing about .
He ended his career as a Customs Officer at Southampton , Barry,  Penarth and finally Cardiff Docks . He died I think around 1954 in Cardiff .

Many Thanks for any help you could give .
Norman Atwell .

Re: Merchant sailing ships

raydar
Administrator
Hi Norman, you should be able to check that out in the UK by contacting the Maritime Museum. They will direct you to where you can find his seamans tickets foir any and all ships he sailed on.