Quantcast

Medway (1845)

hectordavie
According to Lloyds' Register, this ship was built by Tindall and Son of Scarborough in 1845, and owned by them until 1864, when she was sold to G Marshall, after which she plied the India trade. However, she was operated by Green and Co as part of the Blackwall fleet - newspaper advertisements refer to her as a Blackwall liner, and a painting of her in the Greenwich National Maritime Museum show her wearing the Green Blackwall flag (blue rectangle overlaid with a red cross). Lloyds gives her beam as 27.1 feet, rather than the "approx 31 feet" quoted on the Warren website.

Re: Medway (1845)

raydar
Administrator
Hi Hector, I'm sorry but you are looking at the wrong ship, the two vessels I have registered are the convict ship Medway [1821] and the much later four mast vessel. I may have missed the Blackwall ship Medway due to concentrating on the convict ship below.

‘MEDWAY’ [1st voyage] Built 1810 at Rochester. Wood ship of 435 Tons. She carried 156 male convicts to Hobart and had no deaths en-route. She departed England on the 13th of November 1820 and arrived at Hobart on the 13th of March 1821. Master: Captain Borthwick Wight. Surgeon: Thomas Davis.

You will please note that many ships of that period were not registered with their dimensions and whils doing some 10,000 vessels in my register, the occasional slip can be expected. By the way, membership is available for guests and comments are reserved for members.
Regards
RJW

Re: Medway (1845)

Hector Davie
There are three Medways in your register. Any slips are excusable - I appreciate the size of the undertaking. Adding a comment (as the site allowed!) was merely an attempt to add to the information available!

Re: Medway (1845)

raydar
Administrator
By Hec I do believe that you may have me backed up to a wall! I have examined my statistics taken from the only data that was available to me at the time. As you will realize, my work was done when all we had was a typewriter and hand written material. I am sorry that I had it registered at approx 31 ft so I changed it to the below. Having written this data over 40 years, I hope that the rest of it will meet your standards.
For everyone else, please note Hectors raising the point that the vessel was registered at 27.1 feet. I am happy to change any approximates to verified data when such data is supplied.

‘MEDWAY’ Built 1845. Wood ship of 653 Tons. Length; approx 130 ft. Breadth; approx 28 ft. Depth; approx 27 ft. Built at the Blackwall yards for Green. Master; Captain Marker. She was a member of the Blackwall Fleet. [Passenger Liner]
RJW

Re: Medway (1845)

Brucefur Fader
Hello, I know of another ship named Medway, that was a 67 ton schooner, built in 1844 by my ancestor, Henry A. Fader out of the Medway shipyards in Nova Scotia, Canada.  It seems strange that two ships would bear the same name when launched so close together.

Re: Medway (1845)

hectordavie
> Hello, I know of another ship named Medway, that was a 67 ton schooner, built in 1844 by my ancestor, Henry A. Fader out of the Medway shipyards in Nova Scotia, Canada.  It seems strange that two ships would bear the same name when launched so close together.

Interesting, but presumably original names were in short supply, and as
long as they didn't operate in the same area there would have been
little confusion. There is only one Medway in Lloyd's Register for 1846,
the 537 ton Scarborough-built ship, but six Medoras, and 92 Marys,
several built in the same year but in different places.